Author page: admin

1909

The use of the Blue Ensign in yachting is interesting. Some early clubs, including Royal Northern YC, Royal Western YC, and Royal Southern YC were granted use of the plain Blue Ensign during the 1830s and 1840s. Certain other clubs were awarded the plain Blue Ensign thereafter (e.g. Royal Clyde YC in 1857, Royal Cinque Ports YC in 1872), although…

Read more

1913

In November 1913, SMYC in association with the directors of the London Aerodrome, Hendon, arranged a London to Brighton handicap race. The first stage, after passing over Brighton Pier ended at Shoreham airfield. Then the final stage was the return to London. The Vice Commodore of SMYC, Mr Harry Preston, presented a valuable trophy and a first prize of £100 and a second prize of £25.

Read more

1922/23

The club applied for ‘Royal’ title but this was declined. SMYC became a Limited Company and One Pound shares were sold to members.

Read more

1931

The “Britannia Trophy” was presented to SMYC by HRH David, the Prince of Wales, subsequently Edward VIII. Originally the Trophy was for 4hp motor boat races on the Thames but fell out of use at the commencement of World War II. The Trophy was next presented in 1987 for an offshore power boat race from Tower Bridge to Brighton with an overnight…

Read more

1947

The Sailing Division began racing Merlins off Shoreham Beach, moving to the Lighthouse Club in 1949 and subsequently to Soldiers Point, initially on a 7 year lease but later on a 99 year lease. Until about 2015, Shoreham Sailing Club continued to use SMYC as an adjunct to its title

Read more

1950

Following the de-commissioning in 1949 of HMS Sussex, a Royal Navy heavy cruiser, SMYC was successful in acquiring the Ship’s Bell. This was later handed by Commodore Fred May, to the Sussex Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) but when this unit was disbanded in 1994, the Ship’s Bell was presented to Chichester Cathedral where it now hangs. Also in 1950, SMYC purchased jointly…

Read more

1993

For some years the Club had been in financial difficulty and in the late 1980s SMYC applied to its membership for debentures. Some 350 members paid up but this did not halt the financial decline and in 1991 the club invited its debenture holders to surrender their debentures in favour of Lifetime Membership; some 300 members did so but this…

Read more

1995

In 1995, wishing to preserve the history, tradition and uniqueness of SMYC as being the only non-Royal club in the world to hold a Warrant for its members to wear an Undefaced Blue Ensign, the then Commodore of Brighton Marina Yacht Club (BMYC) John J Duffy, determined to see if it was possible to resurrect the historic Club; little did…

Read more

2000

By 2000 John managed to contact around 250 of the 300 Life Members, most of whom agreed that the Club should be resurrected. Despite an overwhelming majority being in favour of reconstitution, John considered that, in itself, a verbal agreement was insufficient and he called a General Meeting of the membership which was held on 7th December 2000. Around 70…

Read more

2007

Members celebrated the Club’s centenary, holding a formal dinner at the Hotel Alias Seattle, Brighton Marina.

Read more