Shop | Classified Ads | Boats for Sale | Charters | Crew | Events | Press Release | Our Ambassadors

History

1910

1910

The  Duke of Westminster figured in an exciting accident in Cowes Roads at about three o’clock this afternoon and had a miraculous escape from drowning owing to the capsizing of his new fast hydroplane, in which he had gone out for a trial spin. This peculiar looking craft – which is forty feet long – was launched only yesterday from…

Read more

1977

1977

The Ship’s bell from H.M.S. Sussex in Chichester Cathedral where it is currently on display. (From a private collection) The commissioning of H.M.S. Sussex By Tony Drury The Sussex Division of the RNVR (Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve) established its headquarters at Hove in November 1903; it was to remain operational for 91 years.  For the first 48 years of its…

Read more

1907

The Sussex Motor Yacht Club was founded in April 1907.  The Bystander, a magazine of the day, reported in its May 22, 1907 edition, that “the inaugural luncheon of the club was held at the Grand Hotel, Brighton, on Saturday the 11th of May 1907; and, as the afternoon was delightfully fine, the opening cruise which followed was thoroughly enjoyed, particularly…

Read more

1908

1908

The Motor-Car Journal, for Saturday, 9 May 1908, vol. 10, page 230, under the general heading of “Motoring Notes from Brighton” states: “Brighton rejoices in the possession of the only motor-boat club “whose current balance-sheet reveals a satisfactory financial position.” At least, so said Mr H.J. Mann, the secretary of the Sussex Motor Yacht Club, at its first annual meeting…

Read more

1909

The use of the Blue Ensign in yachting is interesting. Some early clubs, including Royal Northern YC, Royal Western YC, and Royal Southern YC were granted use of the plain Blue Ensign during the 1830s and 1840s. Certain other clubs were awarded the plain Blue Ensign thereafter (e.g. Royal Clyde YC in 1857, Royal Cinque Ports YC in 1872), although…

Read more

1913

In November 1913, SMYC in association with the directors of the London Aerodrome, Hendon, arranged a London to Brighton handicap race. The first stage, after passing over Brighton Pier ended at Shoreham airfield. Then the final stage was the return to London. The Vice Commodore of SMYC, Mr Harry Preston, presented a valuable trophy and a first prize of £100 and a second prize of £25.

Read more

1922/23

The club applied for ‘Royal’ title but this was declined. SMYC became a Limited Company and One Pound shares were sold to members.

Read more

1931

The “Britannia Trophy” was presented to SMYC by HRH David, the Prince of Wales, subsequently Edward VIII. Originally the Trophy was for 4hp motor boat races on the Thames but fell out of use at the commencement of World War II. The Trophy was next presented in 1987 for an offshore power boat race from Tower Bridge to Brighton with an overnight…

Read more

1947

The Sailing Division began racing Merlins off Shoreham Beach, moving to the Lighthouse Club in 1949 and subsequently to Soldiers Point, initially on a 7 year lease but later on a 99 year lease. Until about 2015, Shoreham Sailing Club continued to use SMYC as an adjunct to its title

Read more

1950

Following the de-commissioning in 1949 of HMS Sussex, a Royal Navy heavy cruiser, SMYC was successful in acquiring the Ship’s Bell. This was later handed by Commodore Fred May, to the Sussex Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) but when this unit was disbanded in 1994, the Ship’s Bell was presented to Chichester Cathedral where it now hangs. Also in 1950, SMYC purchased jointly…

Read more