The use of the Blue Ensign in yachting is interesting. Some early clubs, including Royal Northern YC, Royal Western YC, and Royal Southern YC were granted use of the plain Blue Ensign during the 1830s and 1840s. Certain other clubs were awarded the plain Blue Ensign thereafter (e.g. Royal Clyde YC in 1857, Royal Cinque Ports YC in 1872), although many other clubs were granted the Blue Ensign defaced with a club badge or other emblem. In theearly 20th century, several motor yacht clubs including SMYC were awarded plain Blue Ensigns: Royal Motor YC in 1906, SMYC in 1909, and Royal Scottish MYC in 1928. Finally in 1928, the Admiralty ceased issuing new Warrants for the plain Blue ensign to clubs (armed services clubs excepted), in favour of a defaced Blue Ensign, and thus SMYC is one of the last U.K. clubs to receive a Warrant to wear an Undefaced Blue Ensign. Today there appear to be 18 clubs in the UK entitled to wear the Undefaced Blue Ensign, plus 12 overseas clubs, including the Royal Brighton Yacht Club of Australia. Apart from the naval Services clubs, SMYC may now be the only surviving non-Royal Club to be entitled to issue Permits for an Undefaced Blue Ensign.