Shop | Classified Ads | Boats for Sale | Charters | Crew | Events | Press Release | Our Ambassadors

1950

1950

Following the de-commissioning in 1949 of HMS Sussex, a Royal Navy heavy cruiser, SMYC was successful in acquiring the Ship’s Bell. This was later handed by Commodore Fred May, to the Sussex Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) but when this unit was disbanded in 1994, the Ship’s Bell was presented to Chichester Cathedral where it now hangs. Also in 1950, SMYC purchased jointly with Sussex Yacht Club, Stowe’s Yard, now the premises and boatyard of Sussex Yacht Club. In the late 1970’s, during one of its many financial crisis’, SMYC sold its half share of the yard to Sussex Yacht Club.

Leave a reply